October 20, 2016

On the beat in Bangor, Maine

Bangor Police Department - You didn't notice the light had turned green. You also did not notice that I had serendipitously been forced to stop directly beside you. I was going the opposite direction.

I was the guy in the black and white car. We were three feet apart. I was listening to Fleetwood Mac. My door sticker read, POLICE. You did not notice.

The cars in front of you had pulled away from the light and there you were, alone, vulnerable, head down. Were you sad? Nope, you were texting.

The folks behind you were patient, friendly, possibly missing out on the lunch special at Panda Garden. All because you did not look up.

 I am sure the message was important. I cannot question your motive for being 25 feet back from the green traffic signal. Stopped. Focused. Self absorbed.

I don't like the song "Tusk" so I was not singing along. Who could sing along with that song? So, since I was unable to move forward from my light, I continued watching you. I felt creepy, but I was stuck there as well.

 You provided the much needed entertainment that Stevie Nicks could not bring me. If it had been Supertramp, I would have been singing and might have never noticed you.

I looked down at the black siren control in my cruiser. The air horn button beckoned me. Inviting me to startle you to get you to move along. I couldn't do it. I wanted our eyes to meet organically. With no loud noise to interrupt our Chi.

When our eyes met, you were embarrassed. You knew exactly what I was thinking. You read my mind.

Yes, it is illegal to text while in traffic, even at a light. You blushed. I smiled. I mouthed he words, S-T-O-P I-T. You understood. You pulled forward and were able to get through the green light just in time for the two cars behind you to get to the red light.

We always hope for voluntary compliance. Texting while in a motor vehicle AND on the roadway is illegal. Even at a traffic light.

I hope you remember our time together.

Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.

We will be here.

TC

No comments: